What will you learn on the course?
Discover the advanced techniques that will take your signwriting to the next level including block lettering, the 3D effect, bevelled lettering, understanding shadows and much more.
- Block lettering (making a letter appear three-dimensional) on straight or curved lettering layouts
- Drawing perspective block lettering and using vanishing points
- Painting a letter to give the impression that it’s bevelled, giving the illusion that it has been cut with a chisel or that its standing proud from a surface, including bevell on complex shapes
- Understanding shadows (a letter can have multiple shadows in different directions) and how to use two tone shadows to create visual standout from a background
- Blending colours on letters to mimic light and shade to help the letters stand out
- Flamboyant painting for dazzling effects
- How to select the right colour combinations for maximum standout for your lettering designs and combining colour shades to suggest which direction the light is coming from
- Creating ornamented letters with correctly placed embellishments, curves and scrolls – no need to ever rely on ‘Rosewood’ if you want to create an authentic Victorian or retro design
- Adding one or more outlines to your lettering to create visual impact against your background and ensuring your outlines work with your block
- Overall you’ll learn the confidence to know when to break the rules to ensure that these decorative styles work with the design constraints you have to work within – artistic licence has been employed by signwriters for centuries!
Who teaches this course?
In our modern times signs are often clean and simple and lack the ornate, quirky and bright embellishments found on retro style signs and designs.
Joby has spent a lifetime creating signs in this eye-catching style. You’ll learn in his workshop where the walls are adorned with signs showing different styles through the decades.
Who is this course for?
This course is therefore only recommended for those that have completed our 5 day signwriting course, or those who have professional experience as a signwriter.
Where is the course held?
During the course you will have the opportunity to look around the restoration workshops to see the variety of real-life restoration projects that Joby Carter and team work on as well as Joby’s personal archive of hand painted signs.
What is included in the course price?
Lunch and hot drinks are also provided. You are welcome to bring your own mug if preferred.
You have the opportunity to buy your own equipment including paints, brushes and mahl sticks at the end of the day – cash and card payments accepted.
How many places are there on the course?
What happens when I book my course?
When you place your order you will be emailed an e-ticket, which is your course booking confirmation.
What equipment do I need and what should I wear?
You do not need to bring any materials or equipment with you, as we provide everything you need on the course.
Please remember to wear clothes that are comfortable, and you don’t mind getting messy, please wear sturdy closed toe footwear, no flip flops or sandals.
We provide food and hot drinks, but you might like to bring a mug or travel mug and your own spoon. If you want to bring any additional snacks you are welcome to do so.